Monday, February 22, 2016

UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS: NON-FASTING





Do you find yourself looking for a quick and easy, yet nutritious, recipe that you can confidently go to again and again.  Well this one does it for me.  I tried it recently and my husband and I just LOVED IT!  Besides being ultra tasty, I have learned that cabbage is a superfood containing many nutrients:  it is known to heal stomach ulcers and preventing cancer--especially colon cancer; it is a very alkaline-forming food that we should feel confident in eating often.

Ingredients:  1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey (I really liked it with the turkey), 1 Tbsp oil, 1 large onion chopped, 1 clove garlic minced (I used more), 1 small head cabbage chopped, 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) or 1 quart home-canned tomatoes diced, 1 can (either 8 or 14.5 ounces) tomato sauce, 1/2 to 1 cup water, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp sea salt.  Note:  I also add Herbes de Provence or something similar, to taste.  Basil is also nice.  Basil is always nice with any recipe containing tomatoes in my humble opinion.

Preparation:  In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender/translucent.  Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.  Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt (and any well-loved herbs and spices).  Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 20-30 minutes.  Keep an eye on it so you don't over-cook it.  Serves 6-8 depending on appetites!  Excellent as a leftover.  



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment