Sunday, June 12, 2016

HOT SUMMER DAYS COMING = POPSICLES!

SMASHED BERRY, LIME, AND COCONUT YOGURT
POPSICLES

8-12 oz. mixed berries
Juice of 1 lime, freshly squeezed
3 1/2 Tbsp. sugar or stevia
16 oz. Greek yogurt (I love Zoi's with Honey)
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. rich coconut milk
One or two big pinches of salt


These are the popsicle forms I purchased
off amazon.com.  They look real professional
when I pop them out of the molds, and make
10 popsicles.  Use whatever you have though.


To start with, I gather all my ingredients
and put the berries into a pie plate.  This
makes it easier to mash them.  Here, I've
used our own strawberries, and last year's 
frozen Chester blackberries and blueberries.
Use whatever soft fruits you have on hand!
I'm letting them sit awhile, since part of them
are frozen.


I use a large serving fork to mash the berries.
A potato masher does a great job too.  Go easy,
as the juices can end up all over you, instead of
staying in the dish.


Next, I squeeze the juice from a nice ripe lime
all over the berries.  I then add 1 Tbsp. sugar, stir it
all together, and let sit for 10-15 minutes so
they can get to know each other.  At this point,
I start to salivate in anticipation.


In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt,
rich coconut milk, 2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar, and salt.
I use my hand blender due to how the coconut
milk stays hard if not warm and melted (you know
how it can be), and it all becomes so creamy.
Stick your finger in, lick to make sure you are
happy with the mixture.  Note:  Sometimes it
takes a number of licks to be sure.


Gently fold in the berries--juice and all--
leaving streaks in the mixture. 



Using a half cup measuring cup and a funnel,
I pour the mixture into each mold.  I top them
up just a little…


…but I've found the secret to be not to fill them
to the very top as it makes it very difficult to
extricate them later.


Put the lid on and pop them into the freezer
for one hour.


At this point, I can push the sticks in half way
without them floating to the bottom.  Back into
the freezer for at least 4 hours, or overnight; 
wait for a hot afternoon...



…and then enjoy them on the patio 
with someone you love.  Makes you feel like
a kid again!


This recipe definitely a keeper.
Like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment