Saturday, January 30, 2016

TRIBUTE TO THE EAR



HIDDEN, YET REVEALED

A TRIBUTE TO A PART OF CHRIST'S BODY:  THE EAR,
AND TO THOSE WITH THE MODEST GIFT OF LISTENING


There are those who listen
While they in silence wait;
The outer and inner ear, as well as the heart
Are tuned to things not seen,
Self forgotten.

Just as the Master bends low,
His Fatherly ear always open,
Listening to the wounded creature who cries,
Uttered or hurting, muted;
Articulated or staunchly secluded.

It has been said, speech is 
"A faculty given to man to conceal his thoughts"
(Talleyrand).
But you look beyond, you always look deeper:
Things hidden, these also seen by the Master.

You seem to fish for hidden pearls,
Flashes of light long concealed,
The mirror of the soul now revealing; 
For a crusty exterior gently exposed
And pried open, reveals a treasure worth seeking.




Oh my friend, as I watch you today and I listen,
You show me the workings of mystery:
Love throws the net, patience the bait;
While you listen and wait,
Ear bending near, 
 Unknowing, you follow The Master.

"And if the ear should say, 'Because I am not an eye, I am not of the
body,' is it therefore not of the body?...But now God has set the
members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased."
(I Corinthians 12:16,18)

Written while watching my husband and a friend
demonstrate their particular giftings

No comments:

Post a Comment